Position Description: Controller - Part-Time or Full-Time
UCCL Group UCCL Group has several businesses that operate as Franchisor for top painting service brands such as “University First Class Painters” and “Elite Trade Painting”, as well as the Startup software company “Esti-MateOnline.com” which will service the broader trade industry. These franchise brands are well established throughout Canada with exciting plans for future growth. Our over 35 years in the franchising and painting industry has provided us with an opportunity to establish national and international market growth.
Part-Time/ Full-Time Currently, we feel that we can operate with a part-time controller working two days per week with future expansion of this role. We also could entertain a full-time controller, although this position at this time would include more bookkeeping duties.
Ideal Candidate We are looking for a candidate that will grow with us as we expand nationally and internationally. Our operations are heavily weighted on leveraging the use of online platforms that provide maximum benefits throughout the organization. These platforms will be an opportunity for anyone to gain great insight and experience in how to use online systems to manage the finance function. Opportunities for input into our program are always encouraged throughout our organization.
An ideal candidate for us would enjoy interactions with a variety of business owners and franchise operators that are young, ambitious, and tech-savvy. Our business owners in both systems are young entrepreneurs as well as seasoned business veterans. We have an active social network, as well as many company events including, local socials, National meetings, and reward programs.
Our Structure Our accounting staff varies from 2-4 individuals in the high seasons and 1-2 in low season. With future growth as we expand operations.
Our controller will be managing the accounting team as well as handling the corporate accounting for the group. Duties do include responsibility for some corporate and franchise bookkeeping.
Basic Function: The controller position is accountable for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
The scope of our controller position is also responsible for cash management and risk management.
1. Maintains and enforces a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
2. Manage outsourced functions
3. Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives
4. Oversee the accounting operations of franchise operators, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures
1. Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
2. Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
3. Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
4. Process payroll in a timely manner
5. Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
6. Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
7. Maintain the chart of accounts
8. Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
9. Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
1. Issue timely and complete financial statements.
2. Coordinate the preparation of the corporate annual report.
3. Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
4. Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics.
5. Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts.
6. Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
7. Provide for a system of management cost reports.
8. Provide financial analyses as needed, particularly for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
2. Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
3. Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
For the right candidate company, our controller may assume the responsibilities of the chief financial officer.
Desired Qualifications: The controller candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or division of a large corporation. Preference can be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
Working Conditions: Primarily in an office environment. As the company grows, travel may be needed for training or corporate events, as well as to potential partners, franchisees, or acquirees to conduct due diligence. Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.
Supervises: All accounting staff.
Salary commensurate with experience and commitment.Start Your Application