Welcome To Halifax Harbour Bridges - Applying For The Human Resources Manager Position
Halifax Harbour Bridges (HHB) maintains and operates the Angus L. Macdonald and A. Murray MacKay Bridges that span Halifax harbour. With annual traffic volume in excess of 34 million crossings HHB’s mission is to provide safe, efficient and reliable cross-harbour transportation infrastructure in a cost effective manner. HHB employees take pride in the bridges, and are motivated, results-driven individuals who enjoy challenges and are committed to continuous learning.
At HHB its safety above all; safety of our employees, safety of our bridges and safety of the traveling public. That is why we believe this is a fundamental focus and a shared responsibility of everyone that works with us.
The Human Resources Manager reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), supervises the Human Resource Generalist and is a key member of the senior management team. The Human Resources Manager is accountable for all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to human resources, policy and procedure development and implementation, employee training, performance management, supporting the administration of the employee survey and the development and of action plans, compensation framework, collective agreement negotiations, recruitment, succession planning and compliance with human resource legislative requirements. Responsible for leading the development and implementation of the human resources strategy to support HHB’s mission by developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others to maximize employee engagement. Providing leadership and coordination in the areas of administrative, business planning and budgeting aspects of the human resource aspects of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements annual strategic human resource plans and measures that include goals, activities, materials, and performance indicators.
- Participates in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives and employee related policy and procedures.
- Leads the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) strategy and action plan implementation for the organization. Maintains current knowledge of legislation and laws that pertain to EDI.
- Participates in collective bargaining sessions, settle disputes and resolves grievances and conflicts as required.
- Assists management with human resources plans for major capital projects or initiatives, to ensure they meet the stated objectives and are consistent with the organization’s mission and mandate.
- Provides issues management counsel to senior management, frontline management and the board of commissioners (as needed)
- Responsible for creating policy and procedures for HHB with a roll out strategy for all employees. This includes researching best practices, getting Senior Management and employee input, and establishing an annual review process. Ensures fair and consistent application of policies and procedures for HHB.
- Leads the performance management program for the organization. Reviewing and redesigning performance management forms and tools, competencies and researching industry best practices to continually improve this process. Setting schedules/expectations and ensuring completion.
- Leads organization efforts on recruitment and succession planning. Researches and implements innovative tools and approaches to hiring seasonal work crews supporting departmental management.
- Leads the organization in the employee survey administration to develop action plan recommendations that are reviewed with the Senior Management Team for implementation strategies. Creates strategies to increase employee engagement.
- Interprets legislative rules and regulations to ensure compliance with all provincial and local regulations and guidelines.
- Post-secondary education in human resources; CPHR membership would be considered an asset
- 10+ years’ experience in Human Resources with at least 5+ years of that experience in Labour and Employee relations and 3+ years experience in a supervisory role
- Understanding of working within a unionized environment, including administering and interpreting collective agreements, conflict resolution, and employee/labour relations
- Experience working with multiple, diverse stakeholders. Experience in the public sector would be considered an asset
- Strong knowledge of legislative requirements and laws related to Human Resource
- Experience in the development and implementation of human resources strategy, equity diversity & inclusion strategy, overall recruitment process and onboarding, performance management, policy & procedures, employee training and professional development
- Working knowledge of compensation management and health & safety
- Project and change management skills with effective organization and time management skills
- Consultative approach; customer focused with demonstrated influencing skills
- Strong communication skills both written and oral; with a commitment to confidentiality and an attention to detail
- Solid computer skills (Microsoft Office Applications)
- Possess a valid Nova Scotia driver’s license for occasional travel between local business locations
The hours for this position are 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (35 hours a week) Monday to Friday, however there may be the occasional need for extended hours due to operational demands (evening and/or weekend).
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve. At Halifax Harbour Bridges (HHB), we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women or Persons in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
The collection of self-identification data is a central piece of HHB commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI). This data provides information on the diversity of the population applying for employment with us. This information increases HHB's capacity to monitor our progression on increasing EDI in our recruitment.
How to Apply
If interested, notify your immediate supervisor of your intent to apply for the position, and submit your Resume and complete all pre-screening questions by 4:00 pm Friday, April 16, 2021 to: https://bit.ly/3sUGTtF; www.indeed.ca (What: Human Resources Manager; Where: Halifax, Nova Scotia).
HHB appreciates all applications, however only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Start Your Application