Halifax Harbour Bridges (HHB) maintains and operates the Angus L. Macdonald and A. Murray MacKay Bridges that span Halifax harbour. With annual traffic volume in excess of 32 million crossings HHB’s mission is to provide safe, efficient and reliable cross-harbour transportation infrastructure in a cost effective manner. HHB employees take pride in the bridges, and are motivated, results-driven individuals who enjoy challenges and are committed to continuous learning.
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Maintenance Technician position is responsible for the general maintenance, operation and repair of Halifax Harbour Bridges (HHB) equipment, vehicles, buildings, bridge structures, bridge systems, streets and properties. The Maintenance Technician position is also responsible for winter maintenance and snow removal.
This position is deemed as a *safety sensitive position as work is completed in variable weather temperatures and adverse weather conditions, working at extreme heights from 170 – 320 feet above the bridge, and in confined spaces below the bridge or in the bridge towers. A critical accountability is adherence to the HHB Safety standards, policies and processes. This includes hazard assessments, wearing required Personal Protective Equipment, proper access of confined spaces, safety observations and being able to provide rescue to co-workers as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Follow HHB safety policies, procedures, standards, Safe Work Practices, and reporting requirements.
· General maintenance, operation and repair of Halifax Harbour Bridges (HHB) equipment, vehicles, buildings, bridge structures, bridge systems, streets and properties.
· Operate vehicles, mid-sized equipment, and power tools including trucks, towing vehicles, ATVS, bobcats, street sweepers, tractors, pay loaders, cart carriers, power lifts, and pneumatic tools.
· Operate snow removal equipment such as tractors, loaders, brine spreaders, snowplows, snow blowers and salt spreaders to remove snow and ice from bridges, streets, sidewalks, parking lots and other HHB properties.
· General maintenance and operation of vehicles including pre-inspection checks, tune-ups and parts replacements, oil and grease changes, fluid levels check, replacing lights, cleaning vehicles, tire replacement and rotation, checking tire pressure.
· Repair, maintain, and perform regular inspection of equipment and tools to ensure they are in working condition.
· Conduct regular checks and safety inspections of workplaces, diesel generators, and fire systems.
· Assist in traffic control to close and open lanes as per construction and maintenance requirements.
· Complete job-related safety training and skills development as required.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· A valid Class 5 NS Driver’s License and clean driving record (Driver Abstract will be required as a condition of employment).
· Must pass a drug and alcohol test, a physical demands assessment, and a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
· A Grade 12 diploma or equivalent.
· 2+ years of experience in a Maintenance or Maintenance-related position.
· Able to work in a *safety sensitive position, in adverse weather conditions (rain, snow, ice), at extreme heights (170-320 feet), in direct traffic, and in confined spaces.
· Able to work in a fast-paced environment with in a team or independently with limited supervision.
· Able to work in an efficient manner while providing excellent customer service, and exhibiting pride in quality work.
· Punctual and dependable with a can-do attitude.
· Valid Safety training in Fall Protection, Confined Space Entry, WHMIS and First Aid. If necessary, these courses will be scheduled by the employer for the successful candidate to complete.
This is a full-time, permanent position in a unionized environment, working 40 hours per week on a rotating shift schedule, including a 24/7 rotating shift schedule during HHB’s winter season. Overtime, stand-by and call-in work will be required based on operational demands. The hourly wage for this position is $21.62, which is set by the terms of the collective agreement.
*Safety sensitive position refers to any position in which Employees have a key and direct role in an operation where performance impacted or limited by drug or alcohol use could result in a significant incident, near miss, or failure to adequately respond to a significant incident and affect the health, safety or security of the Employee, other persons, property, or the environment, or cause a detrimental impact to reputation. Safety sensitive positions are also those where there is no direct supervision or limited supervision is available to provide frequent operational checks.
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve. At Halifax Harbour Bridges (HHB), we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women or Persons in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
The collection of self-identification data is a central piece of HHB commitment to equity, divesity and inclusion (EDI). This data provides information on the diversity of the population applying for employment with us. This information increases HHB's capacity to monitor our progression on increasing EDI in our recruitment.
How to Apply:
(What: Maintenance Technician; Where: Halifax, Nova Scotia).
HHB appreciates all applications, however only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.Start Your Application