Welcome To Town of Newmarket - Applying For The Lead Hand Horticulture Position
The Town of Newmarket,Public Works Services Requires a Lead Hand - Horticulture Regular Full Time (40 hours per week)
The Town of Newmarket is committed to taking every precaution reasonable in the circumstances for the protection of the health and safety of workers from the hazard of COVID-19. As a condition of being hired by the Town, employees including students and volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated with a Health Canada or World Health Organization approved COVID-19 vaccine series, unless legally entitled to accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code. Reference Vaccination Policy.
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Parks, the Lead Hand – Horticulture is responsible for performing, assigning and monitoring work. Work is primarily focused on horticulture, but not limited to greenhouse operations, flower program and garden maintenance and participating in general park and property maintenance Assigning and monitoring requires guiding the work of assigned Operators and seasonal/contract staff. Work also involves assisting with the development and execution of the annual work and master schedule (daily, monthly, yearly).
How do I qualify?
- Post-secondary diploma in Horticulture along with significant demonstrated experience in horticulture including greenhouse operations, disease and pest control, horticultural design, plant and soil identification, operating and maintaining parks related equipment and vehicles or a combination of education and experience.
- Certification is required in the operation of the equipment utilized in the day to day delivery of maintenance and construction for parks and properties such as: chain saw, forklift, front end loader or, propane handling, and elevated work platforms.
- Demonstrated experience leading and the development of work crews in order to achieve established objectives.
- CPR and First Aid Certification, WHMIS and Health & Safety Training including responsibilities to oversee staff as per the Ontario Health and Safety Act.
- Class “D” Driver’s or equivalent with Z-air brake endorsement in good standing.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of municipal parks and property operations, associated materials, health and safety regulations and maintenance procedures.
- Demonstrated experience with operating all parks specialized industrialized/heavy maintenance equipment including five-ton dump trucks, tractors, mowers, snow ploughs and the knowledge to haul trailers.
- Strong communication, collaboration, coordination, organizational, problem solving and record-keeping skills.
- Working knowledge of computers, mobile devices, and associated software such as Microsoft Office and GIS.
- Effective customer service skills to deal courteously and effectively with the public, staff, suppliers, locators, growers, other departments, and government utility.
- The ability and flexibility to work overtime, on-call/standby and respond to after hour emergencies.
Salary: $64,296 - $80,369
How do I apply?
Please apply online at www.newmarket.ca by 5:00 p.m. on November 11, 2021 quoting the file number 21-155.
The Town of Newmarket is committed to accommodate all applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code for all employment activities including the recruitment process. Please no phone calls.
Start Your Application