Welcome To Michael Scott Landscaping & Design - Applying For The Landscape Construction Leadhand (2023 Season) Position
CONSTRUCTION LEAD HAND POSITION
Reports to: Foreperson, General Manager
Works Daily with: Foreperson, Team Members
The Position Background: Our Lead Hands are an important part of our Landscape Construction team. They are aligned with who we are and where we are going as a company. At MSL, our Lead Hands have a keen eye for detail and are passionate about the processes involved in landscape construction, client experience excellence, along with being part of a fast-paced work team.
The Lead Hands’ Role: This position plays an important role in our Landscape Construction division. Our Lead Hand is well versed in the tasks of their team, capable of assisting the Foreperson with training, and collaborates well to ensure that our services are delivered efficiently, effectively and to our standard of detailed attention. They are required to assist with the completion of landscape construction projects and are responsible for completing and/or overseeing others for all on-site aspects of tasks to which they have been assigned. Our Lead Hand is trusted by the Foreperson to supervise in brief absences and leads others to work safely. They are eager to continually improve and are willing and capable to mentor and inspire others to hone their technical skills.
The Lead Hands’ Responsibilities Are:
- Consistent, proactive and diligent attention to policies /H&S practices and equipment care and leads others to do the same.
- Assists loading and unloading of tools, equipment and yard inventory in a well organized, efficient and effective manner.
- Communicates respectfully and clearly with everyone on-site, including relaying client questions/concerns to the Foreperson.
- Performs all aspects of landscape construction as requested, at the required quality and pace, in a willing and collaborative manner.
- Able to work independently, interdependently and collaboratively with the team and others in the company as required.
- Focuses on continuous self- improvement, learning broader and deeper skills and motivating others to follow their lead.
The Results We See From A Great Lead Hand:
- An engaged safe working team with absence of accidents, injuries or near misses and all PPE used consistently.
- Yard inventory, tools and equipment, trucks/trailers are well organized and kept tidy with minimal down-time.
- The team is fully equipped to be successful and the Foreperson is well supported as required.
- Supports the fast-paced work environment with proactively focused thinking and actions.
- Landscape elements built on-budget and on-spec, with an absence of quality related call-backs.
- A team player who is flexible, willing and engaged.
- Consistent improvement in competency and diversity of talent within the company service offerings.
- Clear communication skills – verbal, written (English)
- Professional Landscape Construction Experience – min 1- 2 years
- Proven team leadership ability from previous work experience
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and landscape drawings.
- A clean drivers’ abstract with G Licence. Class D, A (R) plus Z is an asset. Ability to tow and back up truck and trailer
- Valid First Aid Certificate
Lead Hand’s Required Skills:
- Proven Landscape Construction skills, knowledge and talent appropriate for the position.
- Proven proficiency with the required tools, equipment and vehicles.
- Proven ability and talent to teach and mentor others with patience, achieving positive outcomes.
- Ability and willingness to learn and be adaptable.
- Ability to safely and respectfully operate all equipment as required.
The Lead Hand’s Personal Traits:
- Passionate about working outside on construction projects.
- Confident, willing and thoughtful
- Enjoys the challenge of learning new skills, leading and mentoring others.
- Respectful (to others, of policies, with equipment)
- Enjoys an active lifestyle and being physically fit.
Hours of Work / Work Conditions:
- April through November: Mon-Fri 7am – 5:30pm (50+ Hrs/Week)
- Requires good manual dexterity, excellent fitness and stamina (for the duration of each shift/week)
- Able to move around on uneven ground, kneel, crouch, bend, reach, lift and carry for prolonged periods throughout the day.
- Ability to work with hand tools, power tools, small engine equipment, heavy equipment, and materials.
- Work outdoors in various conditions including heat and humidity, rain, dust, noise, and cold.
- Willing and available to work out-of-town if required.
Equipment Operation / Tool Competency List
- Specific tools include: Excavator (mini and medium), Skidsteer/Bobcat, Articulating Loader
- Various gas-powered hand tools (Quick cut/chain saws, plate tampers, blower etc),
- Zip Level / Laser Transit, grading tools
- All landscape related hand tools
Our Core Values are:
Good Attitude – personal fulfillment, humour, tolerance, adaptability and respect
Professionalism – perception, customer relations
Excellence – workmanship, clean site, etc.
Satisfaction – customer emotionally satisfied, you are proud of your work.
Progress – Innovation, new markets, change with trends.
Our business is built on respect and we strive to support the dignity of our employees, customers, vendors and other stakeholders. We are only successful when our customers receive the highest quality of service and our employees have opportunities to achieve their goals and use their potential.
Salary & Benefits
Start Your Application
- Overtime Paid after 44 hours
- No Weekend Work
- Bonus pay
- Paid Training and Development
- RSP Match Program after one season of employment