HHB appreciates all applications, however only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted
With annual traffic volume of 34 million crossings and annual revenue of $33 million, Halifax Harbour Bridges (HHB) operates and maintains the Angus L. Macdonald and the A. Murray MacKay bridges that span the Halifax harbour. HHB’s mission is to provide safe, efficient and reliable cross harbour infrastructure at an appropriate cost. Additional information is available on our web site www.hdbc.ca.
HHB is looking for a Junior Civil / Structural Engineer (contract position) for its expanding engineering department. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of different projects and work closely with bridge engineers and the chief bridge engineer at HHB. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on bridge inspections, investigations, construction supervision, quality assurance, project management and contract administration.
The successful candidate will have experience with reading drawings for concrete, and steel structures. Experience with inspection, supervision of rehabilitation works, or new construction of bridges or other type of structures. You will join a team that takes pride in their ability to work together to plan, monitor, complete, and close challenging bridge rehabilitation projects.
Your Key Responsibilities:
· Prepare tender documents and specifications
· Review/comment drawings prepared by consultants
· Prepare sketches and drawings
· Day-today liaison with consultants, contractors, vendors, and other authorities, etc.
· Prepare meeting records for tender processes, projects progress, etc.
· Prepare project schedules, and estimates
· Perform field engineering and site inspections
· Prepare inspection reports
· Prepare communication emails
· Monitor the quality control processes and perform quality assurance tasks for steel, concrete, asphalt, and paint projects
· Review shop drawings, technical data sheets, work methods, and other project submittals
· Perform safety audits, and generate safety observations when needed
· Use project management software to distribute, receive and control project documentation
· Draft responses for Request for Information (RFIs)
· Update tracking sheets for tracking recommendations from inspections
· Drive an HHB vehicle when needed for inspections, and site visits
· Coordinate Traffic Control, equipment rental and Rescue Teams when needed for internal HHB inspections
· Update the asset management system with the condition ratings from annual and detailed inspections
This position will offer hands on experience with project management, inspection, contract administration and review of designs. Opportunity to gain operations and maintenance experience with long span bridges, steel and concrete structures, as well as a variety of transportation infrastructure projects.
This is Full Time – Term position for 36 months with potential for extension, working 8:00a.m. – 4:00p.m. (35 hours a week) Monday to Friday. Overtime may be required based on operational demands, including weekends and holidays.
* Must pass a pre-employment identity and criminal background check, including education verification and employment confirmation
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve. At Halifax Harbour Bridges (HHB), we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women or Persons in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
The collection of self-identification data is a central piece of HHB commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI). This data provides information on the diversity of the population applying for employment with us. This information increases HHB's capacity to monitor our progression on increasing EDI in our recruitment.
How to Apply:
If interested, please submit your Resume and complete all pre-screening questions by3:00pm Friday, Feb 03, 2022
HHB appreciates all applications however only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Start Your Application