Welcome To The Backyard Urban Farm Company - Applying For The Crew Technician, Installations Position
The Backyard Urban Farm Company (BUFCO) is an award winning, family-run, organic vegetable landscaping company that designs, installs, plants and maintains edible and native pollinator flower gardens for residential and commercial clients throughout the Toronto area. We empower urbanites to grow their own food and help them to reconnect with nature.
We develop and elevate committed, self-motivated nature-lovers who want to build a career in the organic land care profession. We provide challenging opportunities for all team members to enhance their skills, develop their interests, and test their limits in an encouraging, supportive, equitable and fun environment.
We strongly value and believe in diversity, and encourage all to apply. If the opportunity to join our team excites you, and you are driven to provide excellence in every endeavor, then BUFCO is the home for you.
As a BUFCO Installation Technician, you will help the Installation Manager manage and control the operational activities involved in the installation of raised garden beds and other carpentry projects. You are a hard-working, capable individual, who loves physical work, the outdoors, and working cooperatively with other like-minded team members. You are eager to enhance your skills through training and hands on experience and you are excited about the prospect of growing within the company.
- Work in the field under the direction of the Installation Supervisor/Manager in the assembly and installation of BUFCO designed raised garden beds.
- Work on landscaping projects including but not limited to establishing in-ground gardens, fences, wood decks and patios, small stone-work installations (interlocking, pavers, and natural stone)
- Install various types of garden accessories such as trellises, critter barrier kits, and simple drip irrigation systems.
- Communicate with clients while in the field.
- Maintain quality service by establishing and enforcing BUFCO’s standards.
- Maintain and organize the installation truck.
- Assist with tool maintenance and supplies inventory.
- Keep BUFCO facilities tidy, organized, accessible, safe, and in good working order.
- Ensure detailed notes of work accomplished and materials used during every client visit are completed.
- Participate in larger garden infrastructure and landscaping installations as required.
- May be asked to water and tend to plants, lawns and/or gardens occasionally.
Skills and Qualifications:
- An excellent listener with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Confidence working with a variety of gardening, landscaping, and woodworking hand tools.
- Highly reliable, and punctual.
- Passionate about growing food and urban agriculture and a love of the outdoors, rain or shine.
- Knows how to get the best out of your team while ensuring your team gets the best out of you.
- Able to adapt to different projects and good at problem solving.
- Able to follow through with instructions as given by the Installation Manager and Company Owners.
- Able to work cooperatively in a team environment, as well independently.
- Able to take initiative and pursue self-directed tasks.
- Good knowledge of the Toronto area with the ability to attend a variety of locations on your own.
- Able to operate a variety of vehicles with confidence, including vans and small trucks.
- Highly organized with great attention to detail.
- Health and safety is a priority. Maintaining a safe work environment is essential.
- Intermediate to advance knowledge of technology and smart phone savvy.
- Experience with Google Suite (Drive, Sheets, Docs, Calendar, Maps) is a plus.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 2-years of experience with landscaping, including grading/leveling, laying/removing turf/sod, fence and deck construction, and some experience with smaller stonework installations (interlocking, pavers, natural stone).
- A confident carpenter who is comfortable with the use of tools and machinery ranging from skill-saws, drills, line trimmer, hand-held power-planer, reciprocating saws, as well as heavy machinery.
- Well versed in safety protocols with a priority to maintain a safe worksite for all.
- Experience and confidence in driving pick-up trucks and large vans; confident driving while towing a trailer.
- Plant care, knowledge and identification is an asset.
Additional Job Requirements:
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, kneeling is required.
- This is a physically demanding job.
- Skid-steer and bob-cat tickets and practical experience is a great asset.
- First Aid and Health and Safety training is beneficial.
- A valid G-class license and clean driving record is required.
- Able to be adaptable and flexible with changing daily schedules, with some days being longer than other days.
- Some weekends may be required.
- Photography skills are an asset.
Posting Date: February 10, 2022
Please submit all resumes to: Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Compensation: Hourly range is $20.00 to $24.00 per hour
Start Your Application