Welcome To Garden Party - Applying For The Landscape Lead Hand / Lead Horticultural Technician Position
Position: Landscape Lead Hand
Organization: Garden Party www.gardenpartyto.com
Garden Party is a landscape design, installation, and maintenance company located in the west end of Toronto. We offer a range of horticultural services including garden design, installation, maintenance, seasonal planter displays, and occasionally retail storefront displays.
We see every garden as an opportunity for conservation. We do our best to use sustainable practices and utilize native and pollinator-friendly species wherever we can. We are proud of our contributions to the beauty of our city and look forward to another season of creating healthy, sustainable gardens.
Garden Party values the diversity and lived experience of all people. This means we celebrate our differences and cultivate an environment where everyone can feel safe and respected. We are committed to supporting all employees to fully develop their talents and strengths in the horticulture industry. Garden Party is a Living Wage certified business.
We are looking to fill one Landscape Lead Hand position for the 2022 season. This is an excellent opportunity to elevate your career in horticulture and mentor others. Experience with leadership is an asset, but not a requirement.
- You are knowledgeable: We ask that you have at least two full seasons of experience in the garden. You are confident in standard maintenance practices, pruning, and planting. You can identify common perennials and pests. Horticultural schooling and experience in leadership are assets, but not required.
- You are strong: You are comfortable bending, twisting, kneeling, crouching, and lifting up to 50 lbs. You are motivated by hard work and able to work through unfavorable weather conditions.
- You are a problem solver: You can think on your feet and fly by the seat of your pants. You are capable of utilizing your crew and the tools around you to work through new challenges.
- You are a teacher: You are motivated to share your knowledge and mentor team members to pursue a career and education in horticulture.
- You are a communicator: You can confidently comprehend written and oral instructions and clearly communicate and delegate tasks to others. You are organized and can keep track of information.
- You are a cheerleader: You are able to motivate your team to achieve a high quality of work. You are comfortable providing constructive feedback as well as praise.
- You love what you do: You are interested in horticulture, ecology, and garden design. You are open to learning and growing in the field. You take satisfaction in a job well done.
- You can drive: You possess a G driver’s license with a clean driving record. Please let us know if this is a barrier for you as we may be able to work with you on this.
About the Job:
- You will work closely with our Field Manager to plan and manage our daily on-site work. This includes assisting in acquiring materials from weekly shopping lists and using given plans and instructions to delegate work to your team.
- While on worksites, you will independently supervise a team of 2-4 landscape technicians. You will be responsible for overseeing time management and quality control for each job.
- You will oversee Garden Party’s full range of horticultural services including garden maintenance, planting, the composition of seasonal planters, and landscape staging for real estate.
- You will work with the Field Manager to educate team members and provide them with regular feedback.
- Lead Hands transport their crew to and from work sites using a company vehicle. Sites are primarily located within the city of Toronto, however, we do occasionally venture into the GTA.
- Lead Hands will be responsible for keeping our home base organized. This means upkeep of tools, watering plants, and organizing storage spaces.
What we offer:
- Hourly rate starting at $25 per/hr
- Full-time use of a Garden Party vehicle
- Seasonal employment from April to December
- Paid orientation & training
- Interesting and varied work with rewarding results and a great team environment
Our headquarters are located in Toronto’s west end. We start work at 7:00 am through the summer, and 7:30 am through the fall. You will have full-time use of a Garden Party vehicle to transport yourself to and from work.
Start Your Application
Please send a brief cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Landscape Lead Hand’ by March 24, 2022. We can’t wait to hear from you!