Welcome To Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo - Applying For The Senior Manager, Horticulture & Grounds Services Position
Take the next step in your career by joining the team at the Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo and grow your experience at one of the most unique sites in Calgary! The Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo is seeking a full-time permanent Senior Manager, Grounds Services to lead our dedicated team of grounds maintenance and horticulture professionals. The successful candidate will manage the development of all horticultural areas, the maintenance of animal habitats, the maintenance of botanical gardens and grounds. Grounds maintenance includes snow removal, solid waste collection, recycling, irrigation, custodial services, pest control, and Zoo Ready activities. You will also provide direction to permanent contractors, manage capital projects, and potentially manage endangered plant species translocation programs.
Our Mission | Take and inspire action to sustain wildlife and wild places
Our Values | Effective collaboration and communication, honesty and integrity, customer focus, safety, and conservation
What you will do:
- Provide leadership and overall horticulture management to habitats, grounds, gardens, Zoo Ready and custodial staff
- Responsible for direct management of all custodial, irrigation, solid waste removal and recycling activities including contract administration, key performance indicator (KPI) reporting, internal quality audits and quarterly continuous improvement meetings
- Responsible for the development and execution of departmental priorities and work plans
- Participate in the development and execution of branch continuous improvement priorities and budgets
- Proactively manage daily zoo preparedness including snow removal, solid waste collection and custodial functions
- Actively contribute to the development of capital projects as they relate to horticulture, landscape and habitats including environmental initiatives and potentially endangered plant species translocation programs
- Contribute to the development and implementation of long term master plans and policies
- Provide support, supervision and guidance to direct reports including performance reviews
- Actively support the overall activities of the Facilities Management Team and others
- Collaborate with teams across the organization including, but not limited to Animal Care, Guest Services, and Conservation & Science
- Represent the zoo in relevant professional and trade organizations
- Responsible for management of employee environmental, health and safety concerns including reporting
- Responsible for job specific employee training
- Apply proven project management methodologies during the execution of all grounds capital projects
- Follow the zoo's procurement policies for both operations and capital budgets
- Ensure a safe work environment and follow all regulatory and zoo safety policies including Contractor Safety Briefings
- Additional training that may be required and provided by the zoo includes; Asbestos/Mold, Boom Lift, Code Adam, Confined Space, Fall Protection, Fire Extinguisher, First Aid, Fork Lift, Hazard Assessment and Control, Lock Out/Tag Out, Pest Control, Respiratory Protection, Skid Steer, Transportation of Dangerous Good, Vehicle Operator, Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS), Workforce Orientation and Zoonotic Disease Awareness, International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certification
What you will bring:
- Horticulture degree OR horticulture diploma is required
- Certificate in Project Management is an asset
- 7 to 15 years’ in a management role in grounds maintenance, horticulture, or related role
- Class 5 Driver’s License
- Experience managing multiple teams including contractors in a fast-paced horticulture environment
- Experience developing and executing capital projects and budget development
- Experience with endangered plant species translocation and/or propagation is an asset
- Experience with office software packages including computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Proven ability to work in a team environment
- Proven experience working in a supervisory role and/or customer service environment
- Well developed organizational and communication skills
- Experience in directing diverse groups and teams including volunteers to achieve key deliverables in a continuous improvement environment
- Proven ability to maintain a safe work environment
- Many administrative duties including work on a computer in an office setting
- Meetings and site inspections in the field, including construction sites
The Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo is an outdoor facility and all staff working at the zoo must be comfortable working in a large variety of outdoor conditions. The Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo follows the advice of Environment Canada when responding to temperature and air quality issues.
What the Zoo Offers:
- Competitive compensation, vacation and flex days entitlement
- Flexible benefits plan, including a health spending account
- Employer matching RRSP program
- Discounts on food, beverage, and merchandise
- Participation in the Staff Pass Benefit plan
- A fun, rewarding work environment and the opportunity to work in a park full of wild animals
Are you ready to join one of Canada’s leaders in wildlife conservation?
If this position suits your skills, experience and personal attributes, we want to talk to you.
Apply by doing the following;
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
If this position is a fit for you, we encourage you to apply with a resume and cover letter no later. Applications will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found. We encourage you to apply early!
The Wilder Institute/Calgary Zoo strives to cultivate a workplace in which everyone feels welcome and empowered to bring their authentic selves to work. As a conservation organization, we respect and value the diversity of all life and come together as individuals and teammates to achieve the organization’s mission and vision. We recognize the value of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and work to advance our culture to ensure diverse viewpoints are heard and everyone has an equitable chance to succeed and thrive.
Start Your Application
All candidates are thanked for their applications and advised that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.