Welcome To Sipkens Nurseries - Applying For The Landscape Labourer Position
Working outdoors April to Nov/Dec 7:30am to 6pm
We are a family owned and operated garden centre near Sarnia Ontario. We operate a large garden center, wholesale department , and a landscaping division focusing mostly on residential high end installations. You will assist the landscape crew in installing and maintaining landscape environments which include flowers, trees, shrubs, lawns and construction landscapes. Tasks will include laying out beds, installing plants, installing stone patios, walkways, water features, sod. Uses appropriate tools and equipment required to complete tasks. 19.00 per hour.
JOB PURPOSE: As a member of our landscaping team, Landscapers complete various gardening and lawn maintenance duties as provided by the Landscape Designer and Crew Leader.
Landscapers will be responsible for planting, installing and maintaining customer gardens and lawns through the use of various tools and machinery with a priority on customer service, efficiency and safety.
- Install rock gardens, ponds, patios, drainage systems, irrigation systems, retaining walls, fences, water features, lighting and planters
- Spread top soil; lay sod; plant flowers, grasses, shrubs and trees
- Perform fall and spring clean-up; weed gardens, prune shrubs and trees; and execute other maintenance duties as directed by supervisor/manager
- Edge around flower beds, walkways, and walls
- Attach wires from planted trees to support stakes
- Decorate gardens with stones and mulch
- Be respectful of customers’ homes and yards. Ensure job sites are cleaned of all debris and materials before leaving the client’s property
- Refrain from swearing, shouting and partaking in inappropriate topics and discussions
- Follow all health & safety regulations including wearing appropriate protective equipment and following Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for safe handling.
- Converse with customers in regards to their questions, concerns, or complaints in a courteous and helpful manner; inform them of proper maintenance procedures and plant care or refer to crew leader or designer
- Respect tools and equipment. Make sure all are clean, organized and returned to proper place in shop or trucks.
- Perform daily safety circle checks on vehicles and machinery before they leave the yard. Check fluid levels and fill out vehicle inspection books accurately. Notify a manager of any issues.
- Arrive to work on time and be ready and engaged to start the day.
- Perform timely deliveries for retail, record time spend and hand in delivery slips
- Adhere to the driving hands free policy and obey speed limits and rules of the road when driving company vehicles
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT:
- Small tractors, skid steers, tillers, rollers, etc.
- Power equipment such as shears, saws, sod cutters, line trimmers and edger’s, plant augers, drills, etc.
- Hand tools such as shovels, rakes, hammers, wheelbarrows, picks, pruning shears, handheld and hose-end sprayers, soil cultivators, water sprinklers, packers, hedge shears, sod cutters, pruning saws, cut-off saws, string & bush trimmers, power blowers, rototillers, etc.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Clean driver’s abstract; Valid G Licence; own vehicle/transportation
Knowledge of landscape and construction techniques, practices and terminology
Ability to understand and execute oral and written instruction
Ability to interpret plans and specifications related to the work assigned
Ability to perform multiple job tasks to meet various project deadlines
Ability to follow job instructions and procedures may be required
Ability to read WHMIS labels, equipment manuals, complete logs and incident reports, job instructions and procedures
Ability to lift and work in diverse weather conditions i.e. wet and/or humid conditions; hot or cold
Ability to lift heavy rocks, trees, etc.
Ability to take instruction and work in a team
Willingness to learn
- Vehicle inspection
- Tools and machinery hands on training
- Plans and specification interpretations
- Health and Safety, WHMIS and Sipkens’ Policies
Start Your Application