Welcome To Town of Ajax - Applying For The Arborist Position
Reporting to the Supervisor of Forestry and Horticulture – the position of arborist is responsible to maintain all municipally owned trees within the Town of Ajax. These include but are not limited to all trees located on/in boulevard, parks, facilities, and woodlots on town managed properties.
The position is redirected from arboriculture related tasks to provide support for winter control within the Town as required.
Job Duties Include:
- Maintenance of in excess of 43,000 trees located in parks, woodlots, municipal boulevards and around town facilities within the Town;
- Maintenance is performed based on knowledge of criteria, critical to the success of the tree species. This includes identification of species, pest/pathogens, pruning/removing trees, soil conditions, identifying and pruning hazardous, dangerous limbs, stump removal, plant health care- appropriate application of mulch, water and fertilizer as well as trouble shooting of potential problems;
- Implement Town’s plant healthcare program on municipal trees when required;
- Assist with providing direction to full/part-time, seasonal and summer staff as required;
- Meets with public to inform of problems related to trees on public and private property to maintain positive image of Environmental Services by dealing in a professional manner and conveying accurate information;
- Works with and inspects the work of contractors to ensure tree planting and related work is completed to meet Town standards;
- Follow all applicable legislation as it relates to arboriculture work including working at heights;
- Accurately maintains Town data base as it relates to work orders and tree inventory;
- For the purposes of winter control (November 15th – April 15th) placed on Winter Control Standby and required to be available for winter call-out purposes, in accordance with the collective agreement.
- Assist with snow clearing operations as required manually or with equipment, to ensure the public’s safety.
- 2-year College diploma in arboriculture or related field combined with 3 years’ experience or equivalent combination of training and experience with demonstrated knowledge, skills and ability;
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist in good standing;
- Ability to complete continuing education units (CEU’s) to maintain ISA Certified Arborist certification;
- Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks Landscape Exterminator Licence;
- Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ) considered an asset;
- Class ‘D’ driver’s licence with ‘Z’ endorsement;
- 2 years of municipal winter control experience operating medium sized snow clearing equipment considered an asset;
- Familiarity and proficiency with Microsoft 365, Outlook programs and various computer software;
- Extensive knowledge of Health and Safety and other applicable Provincial Legislation and Acts;
- Good understanding and knowledge on a wide range of arboriculture skills including, but not limited to planting, pruning, removing, stump removal, identifying hazardous trees/limbs as it relates to trees. Knowledge in plant identification, plant biology, pathology and entomology and diagnosis, understanding of soil principles, landscape design, pruning, plant healthcare, propagation, and integrated pest management;
- Good organization, time management and planning skills;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
This is a unionized position that works a 40-hour work week. Successful candidates must be able to work Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. The Town offers a comprehensive benefits package with paid sick and vacation leave; plus an OMERS pension.
Members of CUPE bargaining unit will be considered first in accordance with the collective agreement. If there are no qualified candidates from within the bargaining unit, consideration may be given to other applicants.
Deadline to Apply:
This position is being advertised concurrently to internal and external candidates.
Internal closing date: 11:59 p.m. on August 27, 2022
External closing date: 11:59 p.m. on September 2, 2022
We would like to thank all applicants, however, please note that only those selected to attend an interview will be contacted and all other applicants will be kept on file. Applicants are advised that written, oral and practical testing may form part of the selection process.
All Town of Ajax employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; proof of vaccination status will be requested as a condition of employment upon hire. Medical exemptions or any other kind of requested exemption based upon the Town’s obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. The Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources staff of any accommodation you may require during the process.
Start Your Application