Tree Nursery Manager
Full Time Contract
Background: Reep Green Solutions (Reep) is an environmental charity that helps people live sustainably. Created in 1999 by the University of Waterloo and the Elora Environment Centre, Reep Green Solutions exists to empower the community with the practical tools, knowledge and capacity for action to make sustainable living the norm.
The Tree Nursery Manager is an exciting leadership opportunity for someone seeking to get in on the ground floor to make a difference for the local environment and engage the community in tree stewardship.
With the assistance of a mentor and resources from peer organizations, the Tree Nursery Manager will lead the establishment of a native tree nursery, managing it’s day to day operations and setting it up to scale in size over the long term. The ongoing operation and long term productivity for the nursery will be a primary focus, but of equal importance will be to engage the public in the tree growing process to educate residents on the importance of planting climate appropriate trees that will benefit the community. The Tree Nursery Manager will also provide important support for Reep’s Backyard Tree Planting Program.
Duration: ASAP to Dec 31st, 2024 (with the opportunity for extension should funding allow). Salary
Range: $45k - $54k annually depending upon qualifications.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Location: Onsite at a variety of locations including Kitchener, Waterloo Cambridge and Elmira. Roles &
• Growth and culture of tree seedlings
• Soil fertility and preparation
• Set up and maintain an irrigation regime
• Optimizing nursery operations to ensure that resources (such as water) are managed efficiently
• Organizing seed collection expeditions
• Managing and delegating tasks to different groups of volunteers from students to seniors
• General facility maintenance
• May be required to assist with tree planting operations in spring and/or fall seasons
• Keeping track of tree inventory in a database
• Maintaining detailed records of budget and expenditures
• Provide guidance and support on growing techniques to our sister nursery run by volunteers
We’re looking for someone with:
• University degree or college diploma in forestry, horticulture, agriculture, or related area,
• Considerable experience in a related field in a supervisory, technical, or professional capacity may be considered in lieu of education.
• Advanced tree identification knowledge
• Meticulous attention to detail and follow-through including working with numbers;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Ability to work independently and to problem solve;
• Experience successfully teaching and working with volunteers and young students;
• Willingness to work in inclement weather and the ability to complete physical labour;
• Car Required. You must possess a clean driver's license (full G minimum) with proof of insurance and have experience driving a truck and trailer.
**Workplace Expectations** All Reep Green Solutions office staff work remotely. Any of the necessary equipment to work remotely such as a laptop will be provided but a stable internet connection is required to be arranged by the employee. In-person meetings and other work may also be required. Opportunities to work at an office environment can be arranged.
Interested in joining our team? Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF file to the Office & HR Coordinator, Sarah Smouter, email@example.com by January 27th 5:00 pm.
For more details about this opportunity including please see the full job description on our website.
Reep is committed to creating an accessible and diverse culture where everyone belongs. We commit to actively working to empower full participation and ensure fair treatment within our organization, for those we serve, and for generations to come. We believe diversity strengthens our organization, and we strongly encourage applications from qualified candidates of any background and lived experience. We’re happy to offer accommodations for candidates taking part in the selection process. Just let us know by emailing our HR Coordinator, Sarah Smouter: firstname.lastname@example.orgStart Your Application