Welcome To The Glasshouse Nursery and Garden Centre Ltd - Applying For The Horticulturist Position
Work with plants, have plant health care knowledge, and other horticulture skills. Survey and assess nursery landscape, draw merchandising sketches, and execute approved work plans. This person will install, grow, apply various treatment methods, and maintain indoor and outdoor plants using tools and machinery. They will build and maintain urban and rural landscapes including company gardens.
Position Reports To
Nursery and Yard Labourers
Hours of Work
Monday to Sunday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Rate of Pay
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide guidance to customers and other staff on which plants work best in specific environments.
- Assist customers with a selection of plant and garden cover materials such as mulch and stone.
- Examine nursery trees and shrubs upon receiving orders to diagnose problems and diseases.
- Be comfortable applying various treatment methods such as pruning, spraying, repairing damaged areas, and injecting with treatment solutions.
- Knowledge of existing and emerging invasive species including plants and pests
- Report any signs of insect infestations or damage.
- Provide quality control on all plant products to maintain the company’s high standards.
- Plant and move trees and shrubs utilizing safe work practices.
- Use of various landscape hand tools including shovels, rakes, automatic trimming tools, hand and power saws, drills, leaf blowers, measurement equipment, wheelbarrow, etc.
- Apply fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides, and pesticides when necessary.
- Maintain and coordinate the required work of the company’s private lawns and gardens.
- Merchandise using items around the nursery, including but not limited to trees, shrubs, lawn care, privacy fencing, deck/patio furniture, etc.
- Assist customers with questions and concerns regarding their plant products.
- Keep an inventory of nursery products and report on what products are selling vs. sitting.
- Operate various types of large machinery such as tractors, forklift, pallet jack, F-550, etc.
- Knowledge of native trees, shrubs, grasses, and herbaceous plants and their growing conditions
- G2 level license or higher.
- Previous landscape or horticultural experience, at least 1 year.
- Landscape/Horticulture schooling is an asset.
- 18+ years of age.
Horticulturalists will be expected to work primarily outdoors on company property or alongside nursery management. Applicants will be subject to weather conditions such as hot and cold, rain, possible snow, and limited shade throughout the day. It is expected that applicants will be operating work trucks, tractors, and/or forklifts on company property and working at heights on a ladder on occasion.
Start Your Application