Welcome To Urban Garden - Applying For The Shop Manager Position
Urban Garden is a leading landscape company in Toronto, committed to creating and beautifying Toronto's urban spaces. With a full range of professional landscape services, Urban Garden specializes in commercial, multi-unit residential, condominium and hotel properties. We take pride in our commitment to quality craftsmanship and customer satisfaction. As we continue to grow, we are seeking a dynamic and experienced Shop Manager to join our team and play a crucial role in managing various aspects of our shop and yard operations.
As the Shop Manager, you will be responsible for the day-to-day operations and management of the shop and yard where equipment, tools, and materials for landscaping projects are stored. You will ensure efficient inventory management, oversee equipment and material maintenance, and coordinate with other departments for timely project execution. The Shop Manager works efficiently on both an independent and collaborative schedule that balances shop duties, off-site tasks, site visits and seasonal requirements.
- Equipment Maintenance: Oversee the maintenance, repair, and service schedules for all landscaping equipment and vehicles.
- Ensure proper stock of fuel (gasoline/diesel) and/or oil-mix for machinery, equipment and vehicles.
- Coordinate training of staff with the maintenance and operation of tools, machinery and equipment. Ensure crew checklists are being filled out and up to date as applies.
- Maintain records of inventory, equipment maintenance, and shop-related expenses.
- Assist in the development and monitoring of the shop and yard operations budget.
- Identify cost-saving opportunities without compromising safety or efficiency.
- Shop & Yard Maintenance: Oversee and maintain the general organization and cleanliness of the storage facilities and outdoor grounds of the Urban Garden property.
- Coordinates recycling, garbage and compost pickups and deliveries.
- Coordinate mulch and soil bay stock and deliveries as needed.
- Ensure Urban Garden grounds are maintained/landscaped appropriately and schedule crew assistance as necessary.
- Company Vehicles Maintenance: Manage the company’s vehicle fleet: license plate renewals, insurance renewals, emission testing, carry out servicing and repair schedules, track and organize any concerns from crew.
- Organize an appropriate system for filling UG vehicle documents and certifications.
- Manage company vehicle fleet Esso account.
- Healthy & Safety: Ensure compliance with safety regulations and implement safety protocols within the shop area.
- Conduct regular safety meetings and training sessions for employees (collaborating with Office Manager) and participate/schedule Tool-Box talks with employees.
- Track, inventory and manage applicable safety tools and equipment for shop operations.
- Operations & Coordination: Collaborate with the planting, build, and maintenance teams to ensure seamless flow of materials and equipment for ongoing projects in and out of the yard.
- Pick, prepare and organize daily material and plant orders daily, for scheduled projects and installations.
- Manage and receive various product deliveries including hard goods, plant material to the shop (and outgoing deliveries), as well as material pickups at various locations in the GTA.
- Pick-ups at the Ontario Food Terminal will be required.
- Oversee the watering, maintenance, and health of plant stock on site at Urban Garden Shop – schedule crew accordingly at end of day as necessary for assistance.
- Provide support during peak workload periods. Example: Saturday commercial planting, larger jobs requiring assistance, prime periods of planting season, filling in for missing staff if major conflicts arise in the schedule.
- Use of Google Workspace, Microsoft Work and Excel, Landscape Management Software (LMN).
- Establish key relationships and proper communications with various vendors and suppliers.
- Previous and proven experience in a similar role within the landscaping or construction industry. Education or certifications in landscaping, operations management, or a related field are beneficial.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Ontario health and safety regulations and procedures.
- Strong knowledge and experience with landscaping equipment and materials
- Familiarity with the Canadian Landscape Industry’s Scope and Operations.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proficiency in computer file organization, management, and MS Office.
- Self-motivated, proactive, and results oriented.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage and lead staff effectively.
- Willingness to attend workshops, conferences, and courses to enhance skills and knowledge.
- Valid G Drivers Licence & Clean Drivers Abstract is mandatory, and the operation of all UG vehicles (Cube, Dump, Vans, Bobcat) is expected and required.
40-50 hours per week, depending on time of season.
Competitive Salary (Wage dependent on experience)
Health and dental Insurance
Opportunities for professional development
If you are a dynamic individual with a passion for fostering positive workplace cultures and have the skills to manage various shop responsibilities, we invite you to apply for the Shop Manager position at Urban Garden.
Start Your Application