Welcome To Casa Loma - Applying For The Gardener Lead Hand Position
A rare opportunity for a professional horticulturist at one of Canada’s foremost tourism and hospitality venues. Join the garden staff at Casa Loma to help maintain one of the most diverse and beautiful gardens in Toronto. Drawing upon your formal education in horticulture, plus work experience in the field of ornamental horticulture, you will assist the Ground's Manager in the direction of staff on a day to day basis. You should have a firm grasp of horticulture techniques necessary to maintain and operate display gardens to a high level of horticultural excellence. This position requires an ability to work at a fast pace, and an extensive knowledge of plant material and cultivation.
Start Your Application
- A certificate diploma or degree in Horticulture or Certified Landscape Horticulturist or Technician
- Duties and Job Requirements
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate daily activities for garden maintenance and instruct junior staff in the proper gardening methods and supervise their performance. Experience and able to evaluate employee performance and coach and discipline employees when necessary.
- A working knowledge and demonstrated experience in basic maintenance and preparation of garden flower and shrub beds and the planting and watering of outdoor planters.
- Be able to operate and instruct others in the safe use of power equipment such as blowers, hedge trimmers, rototillers, lawn mowers and trimmers, and to drive and operate a small garden tractor.
- Knowledge and experience in maintaining turf areas using mowers and trimmers.
- Maintain cleanliness of hard surface areas such as parking lots and terraces and garden paths using hand and power equipment. Litter and refuse control of all outdoor locations.
- Working knowledge of greenhouse procedures such as watering, ventilation, mixing soils, potting up and fertilizing .
- Knowledge of and able to identify methods of treatment of pests and disease in the landscape.
- Working knowledge of irrigation systems and their control mechanisms, and be able to perform simple repairs and troubleshoot problems.
- Ability to lift at least 20kg and work outside in all weather conditions.